"Before we had children we thought of stay at home moms as having found easy street. You get to stay at home all day watching Oprah or reality shows or whatever else on TV. How could it really be all that difficult? Well, once we start our families we come to the profound realization that it is without a doubt the toughest job on the planet."
I love this quote because it is so true. Being a mom IS the toughest job on the planet. I have learned so much since I have become a mom. But parenthood is also the most amazing blessing we could ever have bestowed upon us.
Here is what I have learned:
- Before you have children, you hear everyone saying that you can't understand how much you will love your child until you have one. It is so true. I never knew how much I would instantly love them. And you don't think it is possible to love them any more...but it just grows until your heart feels like it could burst!
- Cleaning: Your kids can dirty a house faster than you can count to 3! Sweeping once a day won't even begin to keep up with the crumbs on the floor. I thought I would be the mom that kept the house amazingly cleaned, laundry done and folded and put away properly and keep everything perfectly organized! But there is a time for all of this. Laundry will still be there tomorrow. But before I can blink, my kids will be grown and leaving for college! I'll wonder where all the time went. Dusting? Vacuuming? I don't want pictures of those in my scrapbook.
- Modesty...what is that? Before Children - I was not super modest, but after children, there is no modesty! I now shower with an audience, dress with an audience, go to the bathroom with an audience and often with play by play commentary and generally talk openly about bodies and their functions! This was not my comfort zone before children...it is now!
- Trust your intuition. I don't need to be a childcare expert-there are enough people out there pontificating from their soapboxes about how wonderful they are and that their parenting technique is the only way to parent. Well, their way is the only way to parent THEIR child! My child is MINE and I will find the right way to parent my child without the help of these so called experts. When I need advice, I will ask- but please don't tell me how to raise my child!
- Wave the white Flag- Other people are qualified to care for my children, too. Know when to surrender the white flag. Hang up the supermom cape. Sometimes we need to escape, breathe, and recharge. There is no shame in asking for help when I am about to crack. People love to help, and we all need to learn to accept help more often.
- My Husband is not a moron- Despite mounting evidence to the contrary some days (just kidding honey!) he is capable of caring for our children. On his own, he may not be able to notice the mounds of laundry or pile of dishes in the sink - but he can take care of the kids. It will just be done differently from the way I do it. And that is okay. Not the end of the world. I appreciate the help my husband is giving me. With less critiquing of his methodology, often he surprises me by doing more.
- My children will get hurt, sick and will get their hearts broken and they may in fact break my heart...But I cannot control any of this.
- I get to teach them, advise them, love them and dream big for them.
- It's okay to get messy and be silly...it makes great memories.
- Scissors are magical and fascinating to ALL children...Hide Them!
- Lip Gloss will stain the carpet
- Kids won't hesitate to tell you your breath stinks...in public or announce that you have wrinkles around your eyes!
- When you are running late, your children will take their time.
- Kids do remember every single promise you make.
- Showing them your love for God teaches them the importance of faith
- Bath time is the best part of my children's day.
- Bed time stories are important.
- If you do not start brushing and flossing your children's teeth as soon as they start growing them- they will get cavities (even if they don't eat candy or drink juice)!
- Entertainment takes on an entirely new meaning. Your children will come up with the craziest ways to make you laugh and you will tell everyone about it!
Before I had children I had no idea how full my life would be.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY
女性が欲しい指輪
10 years ago
2 comments:
wow! well written.
All of these comments about parenting are so true! You just have to become a parent to realize how true they really are!
Enjoy every minute because it does come to an end as I am quickly finding out!
Love,
Judy
Post a Comment