Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Through The Eyes of a Child

On the way to school, Nathan told me he knows why God made birds. I asked him why? He told me to make the world more beautiful. He said he knows why God made houses and buildings. Why? He said to give us a place to sleep and play and not have to worry about the wind or bugs. He said he knows why God made clothes. Why? So, other people don't see us naked because that would be embarrassing! :)

He is right. Those are all good reasons for having these things. It got me thinking about how neat it would be to see the world through my child's eyes. I have often heard the phrase but honestly until I had children it did not really mean much to me. But there really is something to the innocence of how our children view the world and other people. How our children see us. They almost have "unconditional love" eyes.

We were at the swimming pool the other day and Natalie saw a friend and they were so happy to both be there. They played without a care in the world. They were so happy to be in that moment. Children find such joy and excitement in everyday things.

They can spend hours filling a bucket with rocks and moving them from one location to the next. They can take blankets and make a new world to escape to, they can approach a child at the park and make an instant new playmate for the afternoon.
They see the joy in life, take chances, they have no fear or judgement. They trust in those around them to nurture and care for them.
They fall asleep easily at night even with anticipation of what the next day will bring.
I think that I could learn so much by viewing the world through my children's eyes. I would love to bottle up a little of what they have and use it. To have the excitement and anticipation of what the next adventure will bring. To have no fear of the unknown or fear of judgement. To not worry so much about what other people think and to just be me.
God has blessed with me with two beautiful children and I love that they teach me something new about myself and the world we live in. They teach me about unconditional love and make me laugh daily!


3 comments:

Ashley said...

so true, isn't it?!?!

Judy (Mimi) Hayes said...

It is so true that while our children are busy learning from us, we are always learning from them and we are better people as a result!

Love,
Judy

Gail said...

true, true.