Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sunshine and Rainbows

This is the year that I make a change. Most of you know the struggles that I have been going through. Moving to College Station was a huge adjustment for our family. Around Christmas, I really began to notice that I needed to make a change. I needed to stop worrying so much and take control of what was happening in my life.

I think God gave me a wake up call. I finally opened up and talked about everything I was feeling and I think that was the first step to making a change. That helped me to recognize and take action in what was happening. Then, Layla Grace's story reached me. I think in a way- she opened my eyes and made me see that I needed to make a change and be more present in my children's life. I honestly feel that she was an Angel sent from God to help me.

I think up to that point my goal as a Mom, Wife and Friend was to just survive the day. But I wanted so much more. So, I made a decision that I would no longer just survive. I want to be present, make memories and feel like each day means something. I want to be the best mom, wife and friend I can be.
Those closest to me can attest that I have this new 'glass half full' attitude and what a difference it has made in me. I LOVE that! I no longer fill my life with needless worry.

Now, I am not living in fantasy land. I realize that everyday is not going to be sunshine and rainbows, but it can be more than just surviving the day. At the end of the day- I want my kids to feel like they were loved fully by me that day and that my friends feel like they had my full attention that day.
I have embraced that I can't do everything, I can't be everywhere and that there are situations that will be out of my control. This has helped me to have more patience and less stress. I have learned that sometimes I need a mommy time out and that it is healthy for my kids, Paul and I to sometimes have parent's night out.
We have also started to plan our first family vacation. We will be going to Disney World in December to make more family memories! No more putting it off because it is not the right time! If the kids want an extra kiss good night, a bedtime story even though it's late or to tell us a quick story in the middle of American Idol- I make sure that it happens.
While it won't always be sunshine and rainbows and no I don't dream in cartoons...It is great being present in my own life- I have a pretty stinkin' wonderful life!

No comments: