

Yesterday Natalie got all dolled up for her annual dance recital pictures. I look forward to this time every year. I LOVE dance recital time. I love seeing Natalie all glammed up with her hair curled and make up on. I get so excited the day of the recital. I love watching all the kids performances. I usually get a little teary eyed the first time Natalie takes the stage.
I have to admit, though. Natalie opted to do a Jazz and drill team class this year opposed to the Tap, Ballet and Jazz combo class she has taken for the past three years. This meant less traditional dancing and more pom-pom action. Natalie was very excited about the thought of having poms to dance with. However, the excitement quickly fizzled away. I can't say the same enthusiam about this class is here as in the past. My rule is that the kids can make choices on activities they want to participate in and they are required to finish anything they start. So, we are finishing this dance class and then re-evaluating. She has decided that maybe gymnastics would be more fun.
I have to admit that I am a little bummed. I really love Natalie being in dance. This leads me to a conversation that I was having with my mom and Jeff the other day. Jeff made a comment that Natalie looked just like me out on the socer field. I was alomost offended. I do not have an ounce of athleticism in my body. I was never good at sports. I was not very coordinated - so dance was not too pretty either!
Natalie is way more athletic and way more coordinated than I ever was. This conversation ended up going to us talking about parents that push their kids into cheerleading because the parent wanted to be a cheerleader when they were younger and now they are living their dreams through their children.
Uh, Oh....I came to the realization that maybe I was doing that. I said I want my kids to be in sports. I want Natalie to be in Dance. I would never force my children to participate in an activity that I have to take them to screaming and kicking. But, wow, did I feel silly when I realized that I could be one of THOSE moms. It made me reevaluate my way of thinking. It is all about what motivates the kids and gives them the most enthusiasm!
So, I guess I better enjoy the recital next month. It may be the last. I guess I can silently wish she chooses dance next year, right?!?
1 comment:
I love Natalie's poses....if not a dancer, maybe she should be a model!
Post a Comment