Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fun, Family and Traditions!



We moved to this area for many reasons. One of the major reasons was, we felt it was important for the kids to grow up near family. To be able to grow up seeing grandparents often and to feel close to their cousins and Aunts and Uncles. I've always thought - if they ever were not comfortable enough to talk to me or Paul about something- I wanted to make sure they had someone else they could go to- Like an Aunt or Uncle.
I also had this vision in my head of hosting BBQs and family days at our house. Natalie asked the other day- why does everyone come to our house for everything. I told her because Mommy wanted to move here so we could have family get togethers all of the time and we could invite all the family over for dinner and stuff. It was during our string of March birthdays and Aunt Ashley had made a cake for Granny and then for my Mom. So, Natalie said will everyone always come to our house and will Aunt Ashley always make the cakes?
I told her that sounded like a good plan to me-she said me too! But it made me feel good that we are creating memories that the kids will grow up and say, "I remember when..."
Ryan and I were saying we remember Easter growing up. We would go to Granny and Pop's house every year. We would all hunt Easter eggs in the backyard and Pop would save change all year long and all of the eggs were filled with change. Every kid got one special big egg and it may have $5 in it and we thought we hit the jack pot. We would all go inside and count all of our change. But we remember that vividly.
As Natalie and Nathan hunted Eggs with Charlie...I thought what a great tradition to start. Will they look back and say I remember hunting eggs with Charlie or busting open a pinata or something that is a new tradition for them.
I love that the kids get the chance to create such important family memories! I can't wait to hear them re-tell how they remember things!

1 comment:

2kittymama said...

Awww. That filled my eyes with tears. I'm so glad all you "big" kids remember those Easters. Jeff helped Pop make that Easter Sign (he drew the Bunny) that was proudly hung on the house every Easter...with a line drawn though....1st Annual, 2nd Annual, etc.