
We had our first day back at the "big" pool for the year! College Station is unique in that they have multiple city pools. One of them the kids discovered last year is Adamson's Lagoon and the kids LOVE it. It has 2 big slides, a baby pool, Climbing toys throughout the pool, a small slide, deep pool for swimming, you get the picture. The kids were finally brave enough last year to go down the big slide. The lifeguards catch you at the end and I am usually right there for them to hand them over to me. However, this year Natalie is finally brave enough to just swim to the edge and not get caught by the lifeguard.
So, we hit the pool all excited for fun and sun. Nathan immediately goes to the big slide. He goes down a few times. The life guard catches him each time. Well, about the 4th time down, he tells the lifeguard up top that he needs to be caught. Typically, the lifeguard up top signals the guard below to catch him. Unfortunately, Nate's turn was right when they were changing guards. Somehow he slipped through and as I see him coming down- I yell to the guard that he needs to be caught. She did not know someone was coming down. So, she is talking to the guard beside her (not that that is an excuse- you're on duty- stop flirting with the cute boy!).
At this moment- I went into super mommy mode. I was swimming as fast as I could to the slide. But it has a current that pushes you away. I am yelling trying to get the guards attention. She can not hear me. I am screaming- "he can't swim, help!" I am almost to him and the lifeguard sees him and swoops in to get him. He was hysterical!! My heart is racing, just thinking of that moment again. It is my worse nightmare come true. Everyone knows that I have a huge fear of drowning!
The best news is and I am so proud of him. As scared as he was and as hysterical as he was. He doggie paddled and kept his head above water the entire time. He did not swallow any water! Yay, for swim lessons paying off. He can swim he is just not a strong swimmer. But he just doesn't quite get, yet, how to swim with the current at the bottom of the slide. I got him out of the pool and he was hysterical. I thought there goes our summer at the pool.' He went on and on about how he was drowning and that he did not want to slide anymore because he drowned (doesn't toally get what that means).
However, after a few times down the baby slide- he was ready to go again. The lifeguard apologized over and over again. And brought them popsicles. She said that she knows that doesn't make it right- but she felt just horrible.
I am very proud of both of the kids for facing their fears and going back up after that happened. I have to say that what probably was less than a minute- felt like an eternity watching him struggle and not being able to get right to him. It was my biggest fear unfolding right in front of me.
But fortunately it all turned out well and you better bet- we will be back at the pool again on Friday! It does put things into perspective. Things can change in the blink of an eye...make every second count!
**And yes, that is Natalie's first bikini to wear in public. What was I thinking...I have avoided this day for 7 years!**
1 comment:
So sorry you had to endure that scary moment, but hopefully it made Nate a more confident and stronger swimmer! And Natalie's bikini is ADORABLE!!!
Post a Comment