Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Chicken and The Egg


So, Nathan discovered where eggs come from this morning. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not! We had to boil 2 eggs for him to take to preschool this morning to dye for Easter. On the way out the door, Nate asked what kind of eggs are these, Mom? I replied Hard Boiled Eggs. He said Card Bird Eggs- No Nathan- Hard, Like not soft- Boiled, Egg. He asked what does Boiled mean. I explained to him that is the way they are cooked. We put water in a pot and get it VERY hot and when it starts bubbling- that is called boiling. We put the eggs in the very hot water and it cooks them. Hmmm, he replied. I could see the wheels spinning! Nothing could prepare me for the next part of the conversation. So, why do these boiled eggs look like bird eggs, Mom? Well, Nathan, I explained- they are like bird eggs. They come from a Chicken. What??? He looked very concerned. What is a Mom to do- I didn't want to lie. So, he asked I thought that baby chicks are in the eggs that come from big chickens. I said yes, they are. Very puzzled and without missing a beat. He said What???? (and anyone that spends any time with Nathan knows what this "what?" sounded like)- We cooked the chick?
I tried so hard not to laugh! It was the funniest realization, I think I have ever been a part of. So, I explained that when the chicken lays these eggs they are special eggs, and they are just for the Farmers to send to the store for us to eat and make our food with. So, a baby chick was never in these eggs. He looked very bothered by the whole conversation. But, it ended there.

Well, by this time we arrived at the school. He took his eggs walked into class and presented them to his teacher. He said Ms. Laura- here are my eggs. They are not bird eggs...but my mom cooked the chicken. She said well, Nathan, they are like a bird egg. They came from a chicken. He said I know my Mom told me and she cooked the baby chick!
I just smiled at Mrs. Laura and said - Not sure that words are necessary!
I am not sure if Nate will eat eggs again- only time will tell- I guess.

1 comment:

2kittymama said...

OMG, this is just too funny....and yes I know what that "whaaaaat" sounded like when it came out of Nate's mouth.