Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New School Year...New Rules!






The first day of school was yesterday and the kids did great. The drop off went smoothly. Both kids were very excited about school. I read Nate the Kissing Hand Book the night before and I think it was harder on me to read than him to hear! I could barely get to the end with out big tears! His teacher read the book to the class, too. So, that was neat- because he already knew the story! He said he did not make any friends. But knows a boy named Jeremy and a boy named Jackson. This morning I got the idea that maybe he made more friends than he thought. Because Jackson would not let his mom leave until Nathan was there:)And when he sat down a few friends immediately said Hi Nathan and were excited to see him. That makes a momma feel good! We love his teacher. Mrs. Henry seems like a great fit for him. He actually reminds me a lot of Mrs. Hayes (My Sister-in-law's mom, who was also a kindergarten teacher). Mrs. Henry seems to have a very calm attitude. She is very sweet and attentive and we love that she is a little more experienced than some of the other teachers. We hope this combination will work well with Nathan! He said Kids Klub was a blast and he was definitely ready for day 2! So, now I just have to adjust to this new big boy I have in the house.
Miss Natalie....the rules have changed!!! 2nd grade is so different than 1st grade! Shopping for clothes was an ordeal. She has an opinion on everything and the days of me buying clothes and mix and match outfits are OVER! Getting dressed for the first day was an ordeal. I learned that 2nd graders do not wear dresses to school. Oh Heavens...What was I thinking. They wear skirts- but not dresses! I must have lost my mind!! She opted to wear capris and a t-shirt. Mostly because her first day of school outfit she decided to wear to meet the teacher night and her 2nd day outfit she wore to Church Sunday! As we entered the school and went to the kindergarten hall- this is a scene I am familiar with- CHAOS!! Kids crying, lots of people, Moms teared up- teacher at the door greeting students! I felt at home. As we left the kindergarten hall and venture toward 2nd grade I was entering a new world- new rules - this unfamiliar calmness! Natalie informed me that I give hugs outside the door and Moms do not go in the room on the first day- and most importantly NO pictures with the teacher...What ?!? No one informed me of such new rules!So, as a good mom- I hugged her at the door, snapped a quick photo (without the teacher) and let my big girl walk in the room and to her desk all alone. Paul and I did sneak a peak as she went in, though! Natalie said her teacher is very Nice and she did feel like the new girl. But a 3rd grader helped her learn her way around and she has met a few people that she thinks might be good friends! She said she likes her new school and thinks it will be a great school year!
So, as a Mom- I guess I have to just put it all in God's hands and let them spread their wings and fly. My baby is a kindergartner and learning so much! He is a Big boy now at a Big School. My Precious little girl is even more independent than she has always been. She is growing right before my very eyes. I am going to embrace this year as a new experience and I guess learn the new rules of being a mom to a 2nd Grader as we go along for the ride! But most importantly, cherish every moment- as time just flies by us all!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Great post! So excited for the kids and their fun year ahead!!